The impact of climate change is expected to be severe in Southwestern forests like the Pajarito Plateau and surrounding areas. This theme is concerned with understanding and mitigating this impact.
- Clean energy such as solar power is critical for limiting climate change; local policy must encourage rather than hinder it. See all blog posts on this issue.
Potential future issues
- Identify and support microclimates of refuge, such as cooler north-facing slopes and favorable drainage patterns, to help pockets of current native ecosystems survive a long period of poor conditions.
- Identify and support privately owned microclimates that might be favorable. For example, watered yards might be an opportunity to preserve ecosystems in the face of climate change.
- Seed banking may preserve native flora and fauna to be re-introduced if conditions become favorable again.
- Metagenomic DNA sequencing of local ecosystems will help understand them, which will in turn help with preservation, repair, and re-introduction.